IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Best Example of Real Life Trolling I've Ever Seen, In which a bodybuilder poses as a radical feminist
espionne
post Mar 31 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #1

404: User's Brain Not Found
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 14,332
Fav Character: Tim Scam

Reading a comment by Ocik over in another thread made me remember this. :D So apparently a member of the notorious bodybuilding.com misc forum called "AryanOfValhalla" submitted feminist satire to the website Thought Catalog, writing under the pen name "Anne Gus" (lol), and actually had radical feminists take him seriously. /facepalm

Here is his fake profile on Thought Catalog, with all the articles he's written: http://thoughtcatalog.com/anne-gus/

A NY Daily News article discussing the event: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/thou...ticle-1.1725651

Unfortunately the original thread on misc was deleted (probably due to overwhelming popularity and trolls), but if you google "Anne Gus" or "AryanOfValhalla" you might find something. It's quite telling about modern feminism that someone can post such outlandish, blatant satire ridiculing it and yet have so many feminists take it seriously (Poe's Law anyone?).

Anyway, I have a ton of respect for this guy for calling BS when he sees it. Too bad some of his readers don't even recognize it. tongue.gif

(Edit: Found this thread on misc from today, with the guy responsible for the original articles - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...2191&page=1 Well worth the read if you want a laugh! Hopefully the thread won't be deleted soon again...)

This post has been edited by espionne: Mar 31 2014, 04:51 PM

--------------------
Failure is not an option.

~*~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ocik
post Mar 31 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Agent
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,713
Fav Character: None

Loool, good to see some people are still normal. laugh.gif Hmmm, real life example...does my Season 6 poster count? Ive found it on 1 feminist blog and 1 french feminist forum few months after releasing it on DA. Ladies took it seriously and were very mad at Marathon for presenting young girls with inappropriate heroes. I think i still have links to it on my desktop.

--------------------

"The writers weren't deliberately pandering to various fetishes; they just happened to choose themes that happened to be fetishes as well."

+Quote Post
espionne
post Mar 31 2014, 11:02 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

LOL! Was that the one featured on your DA page? I actually didn't think it was bad at all. You'd see way more nudity than that during your average day at the beach (heck, I know girls who dress like that every day...). But wow, people were complaining about that, and on a *French* forum no less? I thought the French (and Europeans in general) tended to be more liberal when it came to sex/nudity compared to their North American counterparts...

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
Ocik
post Mar 31 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Agent
Group Icon

Yup, it was the one on my DA account. Oh and you can find far more suggestive and revealing moments in old Disney tales than in modern cartoons. E.q. Ariel is literally half naked, Jasmine walks around showing off her belly button (something the guys at Marathon were told to avoid when possible in the past) and Disney princesses wear corsets.

Oh and then there is this:

This post has been edited by Ocik: Mar 31 2014, 11:27 PM

--------------------

"The writers weren't deliberately pandering to various fetishes; they just happened to choose themes that happened to be fetishes as well."

+Quote Post
espionne
post Mar 31 2014, 11:32 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Don't forget Jessica Rabbit!! (of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" fame)

...seriously, people these days seem to be overly PC to the point where it's actually stifling. But about the belly button thing - are you sure? I distinctly remember some episodes where the spies were wearing clothing that revealed their lower bellies. (Definitely not from either S5 or S6 though, that's for sure... haha)

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
Ocik
post Mar 31 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #6

Agent
Group Icon

Yep, i think some ex Marathon employee mentioned that thing with belly buttons, could have been the same guy who shared unreleased TS designs with us on 4chan. Ofc, being told "be careful with the belly buttons" doesnt mean no belly buttons at all. He was a bit of troll who tried to smuggle in as much sexiness as he could. He also wrote something in this spirit:
Many of my drawings were rejected by the head animator for being "too sexy" but that didnt stop me from adding twice as many of them in the next batch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
espionne
post Apr 1 2014, 12:00 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

He sounds like a fun person. tongue.gif (not sarcastic) Huh, I didn't know a Marathon employee would frequent 4chan lol... that board gets a bit of a bad rap thanks to /b/, but I did visit a couple of the more serious boards once and they seemed okay. I still prefer Reddit though tongue.gif

But serious question now - since you appear to have a lot of inside info on TS, do you know if the animators are actually trying to deliberately squeeze in lesbian subtext? I know you think they are, but is there actually any evidence for this (like, was there some sort of statement or something from a current or former employee)? I'm just curious because it appears that a lot of the folks over at TSUG think so. I wouldn't care if this was true, and it wouldn't change the fact that I'd still like the show (the older seasons anyway), but I would certainly be surprised to find out that was the case. To me, a few random screencaps isn't convincing enough. And I know not every single line in each episode is G-rated, but I've yet to see an unquestionably direct reference to all this girl-on-girl stuff - for now it all appears to be just fan theories, and the non-G-rated stuff is the girls talking about guys whom they find cute. But maybe you know something I don't.

Sorry for veering off-topic; I've been curious about this for a long time.

This post has been edited by espionne: Apr 1 2014, 12:17 AM

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
Ocik
post Apr 1 2014, 12:31 AM
Post #8

Agent
Group Icon

We asked him this too (Were you making the show sexy and full of fetishes on purpose?). No, there is no official acknowledgment of this however he revealed that people working on the show were actually told to "make the girls look glamorous" - you gotta read between the lines. As for lesbian subtext....well, no hard evidence exists and imo its better this way - its fun to search for it and then not being sure about your findings. laugh.gif

.....Naaaah, hawt hormone driven teenage girls living together without parents in ocean front villa......dont tell me they didnt at least try to experiment at some point.

This post has been edited by Ocik: Apr 1 2014, 12:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
espionne
post Apr 1 2014, 12:47 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Interesting... that would explain the older version of the TS article on Encyclopedia Dramatica. Someone had edited in at one point that "Anon found that the writers weren't deliberately pandering to various fetishes; they just happened to choose themes that happened to be fetishes as well", and it remained there through quite a number of edits so I assumed there was at least some truth to it. ED might be hugely offensive/sick/twisted, but it actually points out quite a lot of true things - just not in a PC manner. tongue.gif

But I'd argue that a line like "making the girls look glamorous" doesn't automatically equal a "yes" answer to that question, and I'd be careful not to jump to conclusions too soon. People are naturally drawn to attractive people, and it makes sense that if you wanted to host a popular show, you'd also want the main characters to be attractive. Thanks for the info though; it answered something I'd always been wondering about!

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
Ocik
post Apr 1 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #10

Agent
Group Icon

No prob. I too believe TS creators wanted their heroinesses to look appealing but not explicitly sexy and in questionable situations - something the lower level employees are responsible for (putting in Easter eggs, questionable gadgets and positions ) without the top management knowing about it.

This post has been edited by Ocik: Apr 1 2014, 01:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th February 2019 - 08:38 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net