espionne
post Oct 19 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #1

404: User's Brain Not Found
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 14,332
Fav Character: Tim Scam

So this picture was initially posted under a thread on Reddit titled "So my friend was cleaning and saw this mom out for a stroll with her kids". I didn't know what to expect until... well, I'll just say that you should be prepared for a nasty surprise. barf.gif

http://i.imgur.com/9mzzo.jpg

Sigh... isn't nature just wonderful?

--------------------
Failure is not an option.

~*~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
phoebe
post Oct 20 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #2

Pink bean :D
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 635
Fav Character: Clover

I'm afraid to click on the link o.o

--------------------

Me (PhoebeXD), Biggie (Pikachu), and Herrick (XHerrickX) together in action? o.o

+Quote Post
Samfanatic
post Oct 20 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Agent
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,737
Fav Character: Sam

very intersting XD your going to need a very large fly swater to get that XD

--------------------

Jerry: "Boys will come and go but WOOHP is forever"

I have made a TS episode guessing game on the Form, its for fun!
heres the link if your interested.TS episode guessing game

+Quote Post
espionne
post Oct 21 2012, 03:28 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

But I've heard that some of them can flatten themselves to the width of a coin... meaning that they'd STILL survive, even after you drop an encyclopedia on them. Scary critters... yeesh!

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
Chris Redfield
post Oct 21 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Oh god why did i click the link.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Clovers Friend
post Oct 23 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #6

Field Operative
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,241
Fav Character: Clover

Best thing to get rid of that , is a Meerkat smile.gif

+Quote Post
Handler
post Oct 23 2012, 11:15 AM
Post #7

Staff
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2

it may look disgusting but if you really think about it, it's just a lobster that lives on land tongue.gif

--------------------
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

+Quote Post
spymanic
post Oct 24 2012, 05:09 AM
Post #8

AWOL
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,982
Fav Character: None

Nature may be weird and has its reasons beyond our current level of comprehension, but scorpions are fully part of the ecosystem, and quite overrated as a threat. Remember, the only truly dangerous animal is the one that can kill for no reasons (not thoses meant by Nature) and endangers entire ecosystems for its own purposes: and that's MAN. In other words: live and let live! After all, there are less deaths by scorpion's stinger than by human psychopathic urges or drunk drivers.

+Quote Post
espionne
post Oct 24 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

@ Clovers Friend: I didn't know meerkats ate scorpions! That's definitely something I'll have to check out.

@ spymanic: Great points. In a way, a scorpion can be thought of as somewhat similar to a snake - there are only a few species of each that have any venom at all, and even the venomous ones don't actually cause so many deaths as people would like to think. tongue.gif But my motivation for the (panicky) title was the fact that this thing was found inside someone's house. If it were wandering about outside somewhere in the wild, I wouldn't mind - after all, there are scarier things out there for sure - but the possibility of it being in my house? No sir!

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
spymanic
post Oct 25 2012, 02:13 AM
Post #10

AWOL
Group Icon

QUOTE (espionne @ Oct 24 2012, 03:18 PM) *
@ Clovers Friend: I didn't know meerkats ate scorpions! That's definitely something I'll have to check out.

@ spymanic: Great points. In a way, a scorpion can be thought of as somewhat similar to a snake - there are only a few species of each that have any venom at all, and even the venomous ones don't actually cause so many deaths as people would like to think. tongue.gif But my motivation for the (panicky) title was the fact that this thing was found inside someone's house. If it were wandering about outside somewhere in the wild, I wouldn't mind - after all, there are scarier things out there for sure - but the possibility of it being in my house? No sir!

Well, I wouldn't relish discovering a scorp inside my house either, to be perfectly honest, but ever since I got rid of my insecto/arachnophobia, I've learned to practise the "live and let live" stuff, ousting hornets rather than trying to kill them. And I coexist with at least three garden spiders: great way to get rid of pesky mosquitoes, midgets and other bugs (if you don't mind the occasional cobweb in your hair.)

So I don't mean to play the tree-hugging hippie here, but even for critters like this one, I think a gentle but firm boot up the ass to show them the way outside is better than grabbing the welding torch. Besides, "killing it with fire" inside a house? Bad idea, that, Think of all the flammable stuff: furniture, wallpapers, the gas mains... dry.gif

Plus, you've got to respect such a concerned mother that keeps her kids so close to her! tongue.gif

Food for thought: from Nolan's Batman: the Dark Knight: "All animals feel fear." -"Even the scary ones?" -"Especially the scary ones."

If all humans and scoprions would live together hand in hand... or pincer... Okay, forget it...

Btw, anybody knows the story about the scorpion and the frog?

Didn't know about the meerkat eating scorps either, gotta check that too. I know they share the same habitat, so there's a real possibility for a mongoose/cobra relationship.

Wow, to think this is a forum about a Saturday morning cartoon about teenage fashionista spies! Culture ev'rywhere, guys, yay! lmao.gif

+Quote Post
espionne
post Oct 25 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Ha, "kill it with fire" is kind of an internet meme. I wasn't being 100% serious when I posted it. tongue.gif In the pictured situation, though, I'm not sure how I would get the creature to leave. Mother scorpions can get very aggressive when they feel they are being threatened (especially when they still have babies on their back).

--------------------

~*~

+Quote Post
spymanic
post Oct 26 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #12

AWOL
Group Icon

QUOTE (espionne @ Oct 25 2012, 06:16 PM) *
Ha, "kill it with fire" is kind of an internet meme. I wasn't being 100% serious when I posted it. tongue.gif In the pictured situation, though, I'm not sure how I would get the creature to leave. Mother scorpions can get very aggressive when they feel they are being threatened (especially when they still have babies on their back).

Gee, I know some Internet chat lingo too, I knew you wasn't. And do you really think I was? laugh.gif

I'm not an expert in scorpion butt-whupping (and you're right, moms with kids are especially aggressive, whatever the species), but depending on the place in the house, sweeping it out with a broom or magazine could work if it's near a door or window. Otherwise, you'd have to trap it and release it outside (in the garden of a neighbor you hate, for instance. evil2.gif )

Hey, that would be a good DIY thread: an instruction kit to assemble an environment-friendly trap to capture potentially dangerous buggers in your house and release them safely!

And CloversFriend is right: meerkats do eat scorps, among other things. And I didn't know it but they actually are related to mongooses, which explains their partial immunity to animal toxins (which sure helps when you eat arachnids and poisonous reptiles!)

D'oh, I'm getting tired, had to correct seven mispellings in this text, and I've just noticed the "bugs" in the previous one (S-C-O-R-P-I-O-N-S, gotta watch some "Dora the Explorer" to learn my letters again! bag.gif ) Ta-da!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2019 - 08:58 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net