Jumpykang
post Oct 17 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #1

Civilian
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 13835
Fav Character: Sam

This show is basically what ignited my interest in pop music when I was about seven (I'm 21 now blink.gif ) and now I've come full circle with a question that I doubt any community other than this one can answer!

The backstory behind Totally Spies' themesong is that, at the 1997 Eurovision competition, British backup dancer Miranda Cooper met up-and-coming producer Brian Higgins, and the two fully intended to start a music project; however, Miranda and fellow backup dancer Chloee Trend were whisked off by another production team to form the short-lived pop group T-Shirt, who only struck it big in Australia. Cooper, not wanting to pursue a singing career overseas, went back to England to collaborate with Higgins, and the two started a project called Moonbaby with fellow producer Matt Grey, presumably with the intention of fully producing all of the music themselves and not sharing those duties with competing producers.

After a few years of squirreling away demos, they signed a pivotal record label contract with London Records, who ultimately ended up being bought out by another label within that same year, which threw the Moonbaby project into a grey area - at this point Grey and Higgins only had two highly successful singles under their shared belt (Believe by Cher and All I Wanna Do by Dannii Minogue) which didn't make them very high-priority artists in the eyes of London Records, meaning that Moonbaby's debut single - Here We Go - was continually pushed back, which meant that London was also continually losing money on it. In a panicked attempt to make a return on it, the label executives started throwing out many suggestions for the Moonbaby project - the first was to rebrand the Moonbaby project as a tie-in virtual group for a (then) up-and-coming children's show called Totally Spies (wink.gif), with Cooper donning different wigs to represent each main character of the show.

Eventually, it was decided that a virtual group would be formed with its music produced by Xenomania, ie the three musicians from Moonbaby; three women were picked, but that's where the details get hazy and where I start asking questions here!

Edt: I hit enter too quickly and it posted this unfinished, woops - Anyway, a three-girl girl group WAS formed and a single was released that was used as the German theme (You've Got A Secret) - however, I can't find ANY production credits online. There's a discogs entry (link) but the scans of the CD are really fuzzy and illegible.

What made me wonder is that, in a recent video interview, Miranda Cooper herself said that she had attempted being a pop star three times - maybe this is a rough estimate on her part that's off because of, you know, memory going a little fuzzy over the years, but aside from T-shirt and Moonbaby, I can only assume that she counted the follow-up to Moonbaby as the third try. The blonde woman on the You've Got A Secret art DOES look a little like her, but none of the voices sound like hers...unless she was working with a different producer who was coaching her to sing differently and project more, as a lot of the Moonbaby vocals are hushed and breathy.

Anyway, whew! tl;dr if anyone has clear scans or even a copy of this single with production credits that they wouldn't mind typing up on this forum, I'd super appreciate it because this mystery has been bothering me for some time!

This post has been edited by Jumpykang: Oct 17 2017, 10:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 06:09 PM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net